Wednesday, December 21, 2011

'Salems Lot

King has said a couple of times that this is his favorite book - I cannot say the same. I thought this book was terrifying; so scary that all I remember is some scene in a kitchen. But then, this is a vampire book, and I read it back when vampires were frightening creatures that only wanted your blood and had little to no self-control. In fact, I had terrible vampire nightmares. That was until vampires got really cute and grew a conscious (Anne Rice) and then they got cute, sparkly and became vegetarians (Twilight).
I am already 50 pages in and I am remembering why this one was a little more of a challenge than Carrie. There is a lot of exposition on the characters and the town, which he has not pulled off as masterfully as in his other books. King does give a little hint to the terror that is to come by way of a flashback. But other than that, I feel like I am slogging through character development to get to the goods - not something that I really enjoy in a novel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment