Tuesday, February 18, 2014

To blog or not to blog...

I have not forgotten my duties. In fact I am still reading, perhaps more voraciously than ever before. I just made it through the unabridged version of The Stand, all 1,152 pages in a little less than 3 weeks. Although 5 hours on a plane affords one a lot of reading time. So now I am left with the question of whether or not to go back in time and blog about the books that I have read. I may do that for some, like The Tommyknockers, or Misery, or Skeleton Crew. While others will fall away, like The Talisman - a great story, but one that grows foggy in my memory almost immediately. In fact, the one thing that stuck out so strongly in my mind about The Talisman was something from the last 10 pages of the book. In my mind "Run Through the Jungle" (from CCR) played an important role in the book - but not so much.


The Stand


Beloved and well-read
Including the abridged version, I have read this story 5 times. [Given my capacity for rereading books that I love, it is a bit of a wonder that I have read anything other than Stephen King and Tolkein]. In the process of reading, I lost the front cover and the back cover, taped them both on and lost the back cover again because I got sand in the tape, I got chocolate on a couple of the pages and a grease stain in the middle of the book. Poor thing has been through the wringer. 

I would love to give you impressions, but I feel that they would be fairly similar to my other posts on the abridged version: post 1, post 2, and post 3. The big question that I posed to myself was whether or not I would be able to notice the discrepancies. The answer is yes, all 500 pages of them. Characters were left out, intense scenes were left out, there are many more allusions to Lord of the Rings (many of them outright references to Mordor and the Eye of Sauron), but the thing that sticks out the most is how much more cohesive the story is. I cannot imagine that his publishers thought the edited version was better. Sometimes there is just no accounting for taste.

If you read Danse Macabre, King's thesis is that the works of fiction published represent the collective fears of the country/world. You can look to current works of fiction to know what it is that we are all terrified of. Generalizing of course: in the 1950's it was big bugs and nuclear war; in the 80's we were faced with rape (vampires) and aliens; in the 90's it was technology taking over (Terminator) and society breaking down (The Stand). Right now, we are faced with fears of viruses that will turn us into zombies and cause our society to break down. The Stand is a great study of society breaking down and rebuilding itself - as well as the classic struggle between good and evil.

Part of me is a little sad that I will not be reading this book again during the project. But, not to worry, the Dark Man comes back in The Dark Tower series. But 763 pages of 4 Past Midnight stand between me and Randall Flagg.

For those keeping track, I have now read 12,370 pages!

1 comment:

  1. I've read "The Stand" (unabridged) only once but it was a great experience.There are some really insightful thoughts on contemporary society and the nature of man. "4 Past Midnight" was a gift from my wife and I really liked each of the stories in it. I'm sure you'll enjoy it too.
    Keep up the great work on your blog, following it has been a pleasure and I do hope to read more here.

    ReplyDelete